There’s nothing worst than the final moments to moving day and wondering “What did I forget?”
Let’s face it, our lives are busy with all the things you need to remember each day. Everything from our work lives to our home lives, and everything in between. So to save you the frustration of trying to remember everything you must do to prepare for a move, we outlined a few things that you could simply just check off the list.
30 to 45 DAYS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Order Packing supplies.
- Make necessary travel arrangements i.e. car rentals, hotel and airline reservations.
- Notify Post office – Both current and new.
- Notify doctors, dentists, and other service providers.
- Sort and discard unwanted items. Plan a yard sale or contact charitable organizations for pick up.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock and parking reservations at both ends.
- Start packing, clearly labeling boxes, contents, and room destination.
14 -21 DAYS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Make arrangements for disassembly of difficult furniture ( e.g. pool tables, swing sets )
- Remove permanently affixed items (e.g. ceiling fans, drapes, light fixutres )
- Notify motor vehicle registry.
- Notify government agenices ( e.g. Health Cards )
- Notify oil and/or gas company.
- Notify telephone company.
- Notify electric company.
- Notify alarm company.
- Notify cable company.
- Notify water company.
- Notify other service providers ( e.g. lawn care )
7 DAYS PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Confirm date and time with moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers.
- Notify gas company to schedule dissconnection of gas dryer and stove.
- Complete high value inventory form and choose appropriate insurance options.
ONE DAY PRIOR TO THE MOVE
- Consolidate fragile boxes in one area.
- Separate items not intended for transport by movers.
- Confirm telephones are working in both locations.
- Refrigerators and freezers must be defrosted, drained, washed and thoroughly dried.
- Drain water bed.
- Drain gas from lawn mowers and snow blowers.
- Clear walkways and driveway for improved access during inclement weather.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash and credit cards.